SHILLONG: Residents of Golflink and Polo Hills have raised serious concerns over abandoned government quarters in the area, alleging that the Forest Department has failed to demolish the unused structures despite repeated appeals from the Dorbar Shnong and Seng Samla.
Leaders of the Dorbar Shnong Golflink, Polo Hills locality, and Seng Samla on Tuesday said the abandoned houses located opposite the Buddhist Temple at Polo Hills have become a threat to public safety.
Speaking to reporters, Assistant General Secretary of Dorbar Shnong Golflink, Walambok Nongkynrih, said the continued neglect of the abandoned quarters has created fear among residents and poses a threat to the safety of commuters.
He alleged that unidentified persons frequently occupy the abandoned structures, creating fear and insecurity among local residents.
According to Nongkynrih, the Dorbar Shnong had already submitted written complaints to the Forest Department requesting demolition of the buildings. However, he claimed that the department had left the structures unattended.
He further said suspicious movement of people continues to be reported in the abandoned quarters.
Stating that several years have passed without any concrete action from the authorities, Nongkynrih warned that the Dorbar Shnong may take matters into its own hands and demolish the structures if the department continues to remain inactive.
President of Seng Samla Polo Hills, Dion Sohbha, said the Seng Samla has been conducting periodic raids in the area and had found men and women occupying the abandoned houses.
He urged the Forest Department to immediately demolish the structures, failing which the Dorbar Shnong would take control of the area.
Meanwhile, President of Seng Samla Centre Body Golflink Pyllun, Mordekai S. Kharpuri, said the Seng Samla Golflink Pyllun has been actively monitoring the law and order situation and conducting drives against illegal occupants in the area on a regular basis.
He said both the Seng Samla and the Dorbar Shnong had submitted representations to the Divisional Forest Officer (DFO), but no visible action has been taken so far.
Questioning the silence of the authorities, Kharpuri said the Dorbar Shnong and Seng Samla were issuing a final warning to the department to act before the community intervenes on its own.
Topics:
abandoned government quarters Shillong, Dorbar Shnong Golflink, Forest Department Meghalaya, Forest Department negligence Meghalaya, Golflink Shillong news, illegal occupants Shillong, Meghalaya local news, Mordekai Kharpuri news, Polo Hills abandoned quarters, Polo Hills Buddhist Temple area, Seng Samla Polo Hills, Shillong law and order, Shillong public safety concerns, Shillong residents protest, Walambok Nongkynrih statement,