4FrontMedia
Current Affairs

‘Protest Is Not Permission for Violence’: DC Condemns Arson, Assault During Shillong Rally

The administration is also strengthening night-time security arrangements and increasing vigilance to prevent further incidents

SHILLONG: East Khasi Hills Deputy Commissioner Abhilash Baranwal, on Thursday, strongly condemned the incidents of vandalism, arson and assault reported during a rally in Shillong, stating that the district administration had granted permission for the procession only under strict conditions and with the expectation that it would remain peaceful.

Addressing the media at the DC’s office, Baranwal said the rally began at Jaiaw at around 4 pm and passed through several parts of the city before concluding at Jaiaw. During the nearly three-hour procession, several incidents of vandalism, arson and assault on bystanders were reported.

“The district administration strongly condemns what has happened,” Baranwal said, stressing that violence and incidents capable of disturbing the peaceful atmosphere of Shillong had no place in a civilised and peaceful society.

The Deputy Commissioner said such incidents could have wider repercussions for Meghalaya’s tourism sector and employment opportunities. He noted that the state was being promoted as a national and international tourist destination, with tourism closely linked to the livelihoods of the people.

Baranwal also expressed concern over reports of Meghalaya-registered vehicles being stopped and vandalised outside the state, including near Jerobat. He said the Meghalaya Government and district administration were taking up the matter with the concerned authorities.

He warned that such developments could affect the confidence of Meghalaya’s youth seeking employment opportunities outside the state. Referring to around 20,000 job opportunities recently notified by the Meghalaya State Skill Development Society (MSSDS), he said efforts were already being made to mobilise young people to take advantage of employment opportunities across the country.

The Deputy Commissioner said three leaders of the organisation were apprehended by police during the night. Police also proceeded to the organisation’s office at Jaiaw, but returned following the intervention of community members.

Responding to questions on whether the administration had anticipated the possibility of violence, Baranwal said the authorities were aware of incidents in the past but maintained that the government respected the democratic right to protest.

He said the organisation had formally sought permission for the rally this time, unlike several previous occasions when protests had reportedly been held without permission. The administration therefore decided to facilitate the protest while imposing strict conditions to ensure that the public was not inconvenienced.

ALSO READ: 

Police Deploy Tear Gas After Alleged Petrol Bomb Attack Near KSU Office: DC Clarifies

When Protest Turns Against the People

No Curfew or Internet Ban in Shillong, Confirms DC Abhilash Baranwal Amid Rumours

Security personnel were deployed during the rally, Baranwal said, adding that the administration had apprehensions about the situation. However, he acknowledged that the route was extensive and that there were certain pockets where protesters may have taken advantage of limited security deployment.

“Permission to organise a protest is not permission to assault, vandalise, commit arson or hurt children,” Baranwal said.

Providing details of the damage, the Deputy Commissioner said 31 vehicles had been damaged and 16 confirmed cases of assault on individuals had been reported. He further confirmed that the statues of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose and Swami Vivekananda had been vandalised. Two vehicles, one government vehicle and one private vehicle registered outside the state, were also reportedly set on fire.

Baranwal appealed to all residents of Shillong, irrespective of their community or whether they had come to the city for employment, to refrain from becoming involved in violence or acts of aggression. He said the district administration was closely monitoring the law-and-order situation and urged residents to cooperate with the authorities in maintaining peace and normalcy.

The government has strengthened police deployment in Shillong to ensure security and prevent further untoward incidents, he said. The administration is also working with local leaders and magistrates, who have held meetings to discuss measures to restore and maintain peace.

Baranwal acknowledged that many residents were experiencing fear, disappointment and distress following the previous day’s incidents. He said several people had expressed shame over what had happened.

The administration is also strengthening night-time security arrangements and increasing vigilance to prevent further incidents, he said, appealing to residents to cooperate with the authorities to ensure the safety and security of the city.

Baranwal reiterated the administration’s appeal for calm and urged all sections of society to work together with the authorities to restore peace and normalcy in Shillong.

Don't forget to share this post!